February 4, 2008

Papertrey Cake and Spellbinder Masking

Good morning everyone! How 'bout that Superbowl? I'm not really into watching sports on television (I'd much rather be at my girl's basketball games).....so the best part for me was the Southwestern Crescent Rolls I made for snacks, LOL!! Well, have you seen all of the new announcements over at Nichole's blog? I am just giddy with all the events happening this month! And one of my dear friends, Pine (Heather Nichols), will be having her own line of stamp sets!! Congratulations Piney (and the other new designers), I am just jumping up and down in my seat for you!!!!!!!!

So I know you're waiting for some more calendar talk this week and I haven't forgotten. But I just had to head to my stamp room during the football game last night. With all of the new Papertrey stamp sets that will be coming out, I thought I better get my fingers a little inky with Papertrey sets so I can justify all of the new stamp sets that I am CERTAIN will be finding their way into my stamp room each month! LOL!

But to tie in with my calendar theme this week, I thought I would share my system for making and sending out birthday cards each month. I have a master birthday list in my calendar that I refer to each month. At the end of each month, I take a sticky note and write down all the birthdays, anniversaries, etc for the following month. That way, I know exactly how many cards I'll need for that month. I will then pick out the cards from my stash basket or a lot of the time, I'll stamp new cards just to have a fresh, new design. Cards that are needed unexpectedly, such as get well and sympathy are usually pulled from my stash basket as needed.

So this month, I needed to make some new birthday cards because my stash basket was running low. So I chose to use the Papertrey set called Piece of Cake. Oh my, is it a wonderful set. It focuses on this layered piece of cake but there are SOOO many fun sentiments to mix and match. The possibilities are endless!
Before I get to the overall design of the card, I wanted to show you a fun way to create a plate for the piece of cake to sit on. Debbie Olson did this on one of her cake cards and it was simply adorable. First, stamp all of the images of the cake and sentiment to make your main focal image.
Next, stamp the two layers of the cake onto Eclipse Tape. This tape is a slightly tacky tape that comes on a roll. It is VERY thin which means your images that you stamp over the mask will not have that halo line around them. The cut out mask is very thin so the ink covers over it nicely. An entire roll will probably last you a life time. Next place your cake mask over the stamped cake image.
Then cut an oval *plate* from a Spellbinder's Oval Die Template. This shape is from a new set of thinner ovals now available at Ellen's online store. I LOVE this new shape of the ovals because it's longer and skinnier and will accomodate sentiments and more narrow stamped images. Awesome!
Next, place the negative shape of the oval over the masked cake. Hold down with your fingers or use removable adhesive to keep it in place. Lightly mist the are with a Copic marker and Copic Airbrush System. The mist from the airbrush is so fine and evenly sprayed on that there is no comparison to sponging or chalks. I just love to use the airbrush for this technique.
Remove the Eclipse mask and there you have it....a fun, little, scallop plate for the piece of cake to sit on.
Here are my finished card designs below. They all have different layouts, yet have many similar components. I used Papertrey white cardstock for the card bases. You know how I've been loving the crisp, clean look of the white card base. This cardstock is really thick and makes a wonderful base. All of the patterned paper is from October Afternoon and is 4" x 4" in size, just placed differently for each card. Each main image was stamped a little differently using different flowers and sentiments from the Piece of Cake stamp set. I also used some of the long border images from the Faux Border Papertrey set. I always like for there to be some element that ties the patterned paper line into the solid cardstock line. Usually I use a length of ribbon but since I just did little loops of ribbon on the main image, I opted for the border stamps.
Each card also has brads attached to the main image. Now I know that brads have been around a long time but I have found THE BEST brads ever. My friend Cindy Lyles has discovered these little gems and has them available from her store Star Lit Studio. The brads have this perfectly round shape with no part of the metal *legs* showing on the sides of the brad. The colored finish is nicely rounded so that it looks like a big drop of enamel paint was dropped onto the brad surface. And there are lots of trendy colors to choose from. Who knew that brads could get me so excited. Well, there is Brad Pitt but Cindy didn't include him in my order, dang it!
And to finish off my cards, I stamped coordinating envelopes for each card. There are plenty of sentiments to use on the inside of the card and the envelope so I was able to use a different sentiment for each part of my card. There's even a hand stamped sentiment for the back of the card so I did that too!

Well, if you stuck with me through this long post, Thank You!! I really do appreciate all of the kind comments you leave on my blog. It just makes my day to see that you took the time to leave a comment. {hugs from Mish}

25 comments:

LeAnne said...

These are just adorable! Love that airbrush technique. I haven't bitten the bullet on that accessory yet, so I will just drool at yours! :)

Anonymous said...

I really like the clean look that your cards have. What an awesome style you have. I think I will have to bite the bullet and purchase some of those nestability dies. Was that Whisper White cardstock from SU! or some other brand? Thanks!

salusa said...

Very cute!! Thanks for sharing another way to use the nestabilities - Love those!!! I have the airbrush set too - but have never used it yet. Guess I need to now! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Oh those are so cute! I have been eyeing that set from Papertrey! I think I will be adding it to my list! Lori B

Anonymous said...

Awesome cards....I have this set and still haven't used it yet.
Thanks for all your wonderful ideas!
Cathy M.

chickadee3357 said...

I love your cards. They are so adorable. It is such a smart idea to make a bunch of cards all at once, that are similar but still different! I love it!

Anonymous said...

CUTE cards! I love how you did the masking.

Linda Carson said...

Very creative....as usual....

Jennifer Buck said...

Man...did you have to show how cool this airbrush is!? ...totally kidding...This is sooooo super cute and I absolutely love the airbrush! It is now on my must have list! Love, Love, LOVE this!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Dottie K. said...

Wow these are just so pretty. Love the idea of the faux ribbon stamps instead of actual ribbon. I like to tie things together and I'm going to try this one. I may have to get this set. I'm always looking for birthday card ideas. TFS :)

Colleen said...

These are just adorable! I love your style.
Hugs,
Colleen

Anonymous said...

As always, your cards are amazing and beautiful! Love the tip on masking a plate -- so glad you have a blog to feed me such cool ideas! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE these birthday cards - so fresh and fun - the minty colors are perfect! I love how you make matching envies too.

Unknown said...

I loved the cards in this post. So fun and the color combo. yum. Like the new look of your blog too!

Pink Blossom Creations said...

Love the cards they are so cute.
And the masking idea... forgot that you could do that, so ill be playing with stamps and ink amd masks!!

Caroline x

Anonymous said...

These cards are great. Thanks for sharing how you did the masking.

I really must place an order for that wonderful set that I have had my eye on for a while. I love my Nestabilities - just wish I had more time to play with them more.

Jeanne said...

Wow, these cards are terrific. I must admit to becoming quite enamored of Papertrey Ink's stamps. A little late to join the party, but enjoying it nonetheless!

Thank you for showing how you mask to add the "plate." Great technique.

Thanks for sharing and I just wanted to let you know I really enjoy your blog. :o)

Juanita B said...

These cards are beautiful, and you did a fabulous job!!!

I went in search of October Afternoon and found it. I also found the paper and looked at all of their products. I would like to know where you found the paper. There is nothing under the "Retailers" choice. I always seem to love the papers and stamps that you use. TFS.

Whimsey said...

Hey Mish; I just love your work - I really, really do. I love all the ideas, tips, tutorials...and you know, I live in KS too - I would pay you to adopt me for a weekend so I can inhale your creativity - ROFL!

Becca said...

Wow these cards are just delish.

Makes me want to go and get a fresh baked cake from the bakery.
I like the mass production method too. This way I always have a card on hand.
Bela

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

I love your bd cards! I am low (ok not low-have none!) on bd cards too and need to get a bunch made to have on hand.
I love the colors you used for these cards.
Thank you for sharing all your wonderful ideas and tips. I learn so much from you.
Debbie
(who is still loving her Inspiration Station, thanks to you Ü)

Anonymous said...

Great card! Love the stamp set...one I don't have yet but NEED! Thanks for sharing all these wonderful ways to use Nesties, etc. Wonderful birthday card for the month!

shell36 said...

Hi I love your work could you tell me what company I'm only a mouse click away and too much of a good thing is a good thing and wishing you love and the heart stamp from Jan 14.My email is wrobele@netnitco.net

Anonymous said...

Hi! I don't think I have ever left you a comment but...I just LOVE everything you create! These cards are awesome!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

I so enjoyed this post and love your gorgeous cake cards! I'm going to have to get this set inky now -- thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails