February 19, 2008

Papertrey Sympathy Cards

I made these sympathy cards a few weeks back. Boy, I can tell I'm getting older because there are so many friends my age that are losing their elderly loved ones. I know that dying is part of life but it is still so hard to deal with. Sometimes the best thing you can do is send a card and just let that person know that you are thinking of them. So I needed a big stack of sympathy cards for myself and also for my stash basket. It seems lately that sympathy and get well cards are the best sellers, YKWIM?


But I do have to say that I loved the design of these cards. I literally made this batch in about 30-45 minutes. Two step stamping, where you layer lots of matching images, is about the quickest way to whip out cards in a short amount of time. Nichole's sets at Papertrey Ink are just perfect for this kind of stamping. She puts so much thought and detail into each set and the way that the images layer together makes it easy on us stampers. This set is called Beautiful Blossoms and the possibilities of *floral arranging* on your projects are endless. I also used a strip of My Mind's Eye patterned paper on each card. Just a little snippet was all that was needed because I wanted to keep the white base card clean and simple. The base is Papertrey's Stampers Select white cardstock. Sentiments are also from Papertrey. Ink is from Stampin' Up! I also had time to stamp some simple flowers on my envelopes. I am loving the white base cards if you've noticed lately. It's just a clean and simple look and really reminds me of nice stationery. To keep the look uncluttered but to add a little more detail, I used my bone folder and paper trimmer groove to create two lines of deep embossing under the patterned paper strips. Very subtle but still another design element added to the card. I love the little flower next to the sentiment also.
And for the flowers, I simply stamped the leaf image, added the orange flowers with brown outlines and then stamped the little tiny orange flowers along the stems. This reminded me of little buds that are about to bloom and you can see the color of the flowers just about to pop open.
And that's it. Simple. Clean. Easy peasy. I think I'll be making more of these types of cards soon.

29 comments:

Michelle said...

Just beautiful. They have a real serene feel to them. I, too, love the white cardstock base. Crisp and clean. Great job.

Jen said...

Michelle I haven't had much time to surf my blogs lately, but I just wanted to tell you I love the new look of your blog!!! And of course those great cards!

Dottie K. said...

Beautiful cards. I have to agree crisp and clean. I use alot of white base cards and really love the look. I haven't tried any of her flower stamps may have to do that - love the look. TFS :)

Jenn said...

Beautiful Mishy!! Why the heck are you not designing for PTI?!?!?

Basement Stamper said...

Beautiful cards and I love the colors you chose for it!

Linda Carson said...

Very elegant!

Anonymous said...

These are stunning! It's sad that you have to make so many though. The colors and everything are gorgeous.

Niki Estes said...

Pretty cards! Love the extra detail with the embossing!

Kookie said...

These are just wonderful!
They will bring some confort to their recipients.

Amy said...

I totally agree, I can't make enough sympathy cards, they are always in demand. And as far as the white cards go, how do you keep them clean when stamping? I cannot, for the life of me, make a white card without smudging it with ink. Bummer!

A

anya said...

These are really beautiful - I love the simplicity of the layout and the colors you used. The small details, like the dry embossed lines, really add some elegance!

Linda said...

These are beautiful! You're so inspiring. I click on to your blog daily to see what you've created.

Debbi T said...

Why, Ms. Woodenspoon, you are doing a FABULOUS job of showcasing PTI sets (i have bought but not yet had a chance to use!) today!

I simply LOVE how striking they are. LOVE LOVE.

Hugs girly!

Janine said...

These are just gorgeous. These are cards that I need to replenish as well. Have a great day.

Lana said...

Speaking as a recipient of one of these sympathy cards, I can attest to the fact that they mean so much. Death is the hardest thing we have to deal with on this earth, and it sure feels good when you know someone truly cares! Thank you Mishie! I loved the design as well! I also like the "cheerfulness" of the card!

wanda box said...

I am loving your cards. I have a question. I know you have said that you have a stash of cards for sale (in a basket?) How do you display envelopes to go with them? Do you decorate the envies?
thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

As always, these cards are beautiful. I need to make a "Thinking of You" card for a friend who just found out her brother has a fatal illness. Your design will lend itself well to my card. TFS!
Sheila

Anonymous said...

that's a simply gorgeous card

Dawn M said...

I am loving the white cards too lately. the Papertray stamps stand on their own . great cards! tfs

Lorie said...

I so loved your card that I used your layout for a CASE of sorts. If you'd like to see it is here..

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/819342?cat=500&ppuser=14514

I love your blog...thank you so much for your amazing inspirations!

Anonymous said...

So cute, Michelle!

Sharon Harnist said...

These are beautiful, Mish -- love the clean white & pop of color!

Juanita B said...

Gorgeous!!! TFS.

Nettie said...

Very Impressive love the colors and design. Fantastic!

Nettie

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired by how quickly you can whip out a batch of cards. And these are so pretty! I, too, love all the white and the embossed lines. Just wonderful, Michelle! You make me want to STAMP!

Anonymous said...

very clean and simple. beautiful cards!

Candy said...

Wow So beautiful, I love the clean look to them!!

Kerry said...

I'm a little late in seeing this. I love this because I already own this set. Where did you get the sentiment, With Sympathy?

Kerry said...

forgive me for asking about the sentiments. i didn't read well ... sorry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails