February 29, 2008

Q and A session......

I love the dry embossed look on cards, but I would like to have a machine (like a Wizard, I guess) to do it with. What machine do you recommend for dry embossing large areas quickly.
The Wizard is a die cutting machine that works with almost all dies out there on the market. It is made by Spellbinder's, the same company that makes the great Nestabilities Die Templates. The Nestabilities enable you to cut and then emboss the cut shape with a second turn through the Wizard. You can also run other items through the Wizard with ease for other embossing....such as string, ribbons, rubber bands, paper clips and even pop bottle tops. The Wizard is made of all steel parts and is extremely durable. No broken plates,etc.

If you're talking about other dry embossing like with the metal templates you can purchase, you can try running those through a die cutting machine also. I have also done straight lines lately wher I emboss or de-emboss. This is achieved by simply using my bone folder and the groove in my paper trimmer.

Many of you have emailed me with such kind words about my blog. Thank you for always visiting my site and passing my blog address along to others. I so appreciate the feedback!! I thought I would paste some questions here and give responses so that you all can benefit. Hope this helps!

Wondering if you have found a replacement for cool caribbean and positvely pink ink? These are Stampin' Up! Classic Ink pad colors. For Cool Caribbean I use SU! Soft Sky now and have become fond of Nichole's new Palette ink colors at Papertrey Ink. Aqua Mist is a very close match to Soft Sky. As for the Positively Pink, I don't have a new color to refer you to. However, I do mostly use Palette Hybrid Inks and Versamagic Chalk inks these days.

What do you think would be a good basic starter set for nestabilities. Okay, this is a hard question for me because I use ALL of the shapes and sizes and there's more new shapes coming soon! Of all the shapes I probably use the circles and squares the most. I highly suggest getting the Classic Shapes along with Scallop Shapes so that you can layer them up. Then move on to the next shape. For example if you like the circles, I highly suggest purchasing the entire collection as you can see HERE. This way you'll have all the dies to layer with one another...and you won't end up wondering which size set you have. Ellen is the EXPERT at helping with the Nestabilities so feel free to email her over at her blog, she's SOOOOOO helpful with all your questions.

My favorite has been the inspiration station that you made......are you building one for easter??? Ohhh yes, I'm taking photos today as soon as I get it all set up. It will be my Spring Inspiration Station and I can't wait to dig into those goodies!! I'll be showing you projects all month long with products from my Inspiration Station.

Thank you for sharing your talent and family with all of us!.......Lori fromTexas Thanks Lori, I truly feel that the best things in life start and end with the family and friends. That's why so many of my posts involve little gifts for teachers, friends and family! I hope you're getting some good ideas along the way too!

Just getting into reading blogs and these markers seem to be the thing. What makes them different from SU pens? Ohh, my beloved Copic markers. Yes, I love them so and they are a very popular tool in the market right now. I do believe that they are THE BEST marker available for my needs right now. Start HERE at Ellen's blog and settle in for some nice reading. She gives a ton of information from what paper she uses, what inks she uses,etc. In short, Copic markers are fasy drying, double ended markers available in 322 colors. They are refillable, permanent, non-toxic and dry acid free. You can get new tips if they ever wear out. So one marker of that particular color is all you'll ever need. The price point is higher than SU! markers but the quality is the best you will find and you'll never have to purchase a second marker of that color. Ellen offers the Sketch style which has a chisel tip and a brush tip. This is my favorite type of marker because I use the brush tip for coloring and blending. The chisel tips fits into an airbrush system that gives fantastic results. Do I think the markers are worth the money? A thousand times YES! Aren't they pricey? Yes, but you definitely get what you pay for with Copics. You neeeeeeeeed these markers! LOL

I've been seriously considering investing in a set of Copic markers but I want to ask you about the paper you use Again, Ellen's blog is a great resource if you go back through her Copic posts. The paper and ink that you choose to use for your Copic creations will make all the difference. Do your research before you buy. For paper I use Ellen's Classic Neenah Cardstock or Nichole's Stamper's Select White from Papertrey Ink. Ellen's paper is a bit thinner than the Stamper's Select white, depending on what you prefer. For ink, I prefer Palette's Black Noir or Burnt Umber ink pads.

Where did you get the purses from the Easter chick post? You guys like those, huh? Those are stationery boxes available at Papertrey Ink(scroll down the the creatively clear boxes). Nichole shows you how to make them HERE. That girl is SO clever and creative. I switched up the handles for mine to save on the amount of twill used at my Card Club.

Judy in Indiana said...
Beth says I have to ask you if Nicole is really her BFF. I have a suspicion she loves her from afar like I do. So, tell the truth now....
That Bethie. She is just jealous because I got a hand written note from Nichole on my packing slip and she didn't. And it was in blue ink, Bethie's favorite color. For the sake of not making MY BFF Becky Higgins upset, I will let Beth have Nichole for her BFF. That Bethie's a nice gal and all but you gotta watch that girl sometimes. Snort!!!

Okay, that was wayyyyy too much writing without any fun photos so I'm going to stop now!! I feel the need to go sit in my stamp room now. See ya soon!! Don't miss my earlier post today, there's actually photos of fun stuff!

7 comments:

glitter girl said...

Mish - thanks for taking the time to answer questions for your diehard readers. I am on your blog every single day - sometimes a few times a day just to see what you've come up with next and look back at stuff you've done. I have been in awe of your work since I saw your first card on SCS eons ago...

Lee said...

As a newbie to your blog I totally enjoyed getting to know you a bit with your Q and A!!! Thanks and I'm so enjoying your blog and your links, especially as I'm brand new to Copics!!!

Anonymous said...

That was a ton of great info-- thank you! I just love your blog, your creativity and your insight into great products. As long as you are answering questions, I love the dry embossed look on cards, but I would like to have a machine (like a Wizard, I guess) to do it with. What machine do you recommend for dry embossing large areas quickly.

Juanita B said...

You are soooo giving and the fact that you are a teacher (don't mind sharing) shows through. TFS.

jc2711 said...

Hello Mish, I found your blog by accident, but I am glad I did. I sit and look at your work and hope one day my work will be just as good. I saw your comment the other week about keeping a book of card layouts, what an excellent idea; it is just that mine would not look as good as yours as your handwriting far surpasses mine. Therefore a question - have you ever thought about printing your card layout book? I have the feeling it would be a big seller. Thank you. Best wishes Jackie, Warwick, UK

Kristine said...

That was very helpful--thank you for posting! I hope to get some nestabilities in the near future.

Anonymous said...

Mish - I am in awe of your talent. I would like to ask you how you first knew if your "stuff" was good enough to post. I love making cards for all of my family and friends and have actually thought about posting one or two but not quite sure if they are actually good enough.

Related Posts with Thumbnails