January 2, 2009

Birthday Organization Challenge

Boy, that Nichole knows just when to present the perfect challenge! With the new year, many of us are thinking about organization...I know I am. Nichole's challenge will help get you motivated to send out some of those birthday cards you've been making. The Senior Design Team at Papertrey has plenty of creative ideas to help organize and remember to send out those cards.

Here's my new system: It includes a Rolodex system, some fun clips and a decorated box to keep it all in. Let's start with the Rolodex system. I purchased this standard Rolodex file at Target along with a punch to make new cards and/or punch business cards to add into the file. I originally was going to do some altered art but that never happened. Now is the perfect time to use up what I already have. But it's ugly and plastic-y looking, right?
Here's my solution to dress up my Rolodex. I cut a piece of PTI Kraft Cardstock large enough to cover up the front of the file. I used Pine's Rustic Branches stamp set with Dark Chocolate and Ripe Avocado ink. Papers from October Afternoon, eyelet ribbon, buttons, flower sequins(Prima)and PTI Twill Ribbon in Aqua Mist embellish the front. The circle accent has a computer printed *addresses* label that has an outline circle stamped from PTI's Circles Borders and Corners stamp set. Edges are inked with white ink.
I wanted to incorporate a few more organizing items into my system, so I used regular clothespins to make some fun clips. The fronts are covered with printed pieces of PTI Kraft Cardstock, inked in white. Each clip has a button or sequin of some sorts glued on. I like Zip Dry glue, available at your local craft store. I'll use these to clip the corresponding items into each one....like bills that are ready to mail, birthday cards that are ready to be written in, envelopes, coupons, postage stamps, etc. Aren't they cute?
Here's some examples below. I printed 4.25" x 5.5" pieces of PTI Kraft Cardstock with all of my family's and friend's birthdays and anniversaries. The front calendar is a little one that Eric brought home from his work, they have gobs of them. You can usually find them at places like banks, insurance offices, or farm shows when my parents go. :) Someone always picks me up a handful.
Here's everything organized in a super cute and functional box. I used PTI's egg box with the insert removed. I covered it with October Afternoon patterned paper, ribbon and a flower sequin. I used PTI's Scor-Tape to adhere all of the items to the box. No warping, no drying time...wonderful stuff! The lid box will always stay under the box so the box remains open.
Here's a close up shot of the decorated box with the cute little Prima flower sequin accent.
And below is a shot of where I'll keep the clothespin clips when not in use. I'll simply clip them to the back of the box and they'll be hidden by all the goodies inside. My little black Rolodex hole punch hangs right over the side of the box too.
And to start the new year off right, I got a head start on a few birthday cards. I used my Tent Topper card design and used some leftover scraps from my project. The stamps used are from Pine's Rustic Branches stamp set and the sentiment is from Birthday Basics.
My original Tent Topper design that I created is HERE and some more HERE. I love this design and am enjoying seeing all the samples out there. Click on the links for more information on them. Basic card size is 4.25" square with the topper placed to make the card no taller than 5.5". This way the card still fits into a standard A2 size envelope. The topper accent can be whatever size you want it to be....it can be a square, rectangle, or circle.

Hope you enjoy...and be sure to let me know what your system is, I'd love to hear!!

Want some more inspiration? Check out the other girls' blogs here for their ideas. I can't wait to check them out myself!!
Lisa Johnson
Lauren Meader
Heather Nichols
Debbie Olson

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you did with this challenge! I need to get going on something like this...at least this year I've got all the essential birthdays in one place already...that's a huge improvement over last year when I was constantly wondering when so-and-so's birthday was. Quick question...what's the name of that font!?!?! I love it!

scrapanath said...

a great box! and i really love those little clothepins!
all seems perfect!
i love it :o)

Anonymous said...

Fabulous job with the challenge. I love all the papers and embellishments. The clothespins are such a cute idea. Everyone is going to ask the same question: what is that font???

Sharon Field / Inky A*Muse-ment said...

What a fun way to be organized! The clothespins are a great touch!

Mandy said...

Michelle, this is such a fab project, love what you have done with the clothes pegs.

Mandy

Regan said...

omg love this, awesome idea....

Rasofiel said...

you are sooo creative!!! i love this project!! it´s genious!!! and i love everything you do! it has bee a pleasure following your blog in 2008 and I wish you the happiest new year :O) love*vyanmica

Dottie K. said...

Wow amazing job. I love to be organized. Love the box idea for your cards along with a master list. I keep a master list but like your idea better. Beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing. This would make a great gift along with some cards for them to use. :)

DeeDee said...

Oh Mish!!! This is wonderful!!! I love the whole idea and your choice of colors and papers are perfect!!! Cute cards too....I want to try those now!!!

P.S. I posted a quiche recipe today....I know you love recipes and this is a GREAT one...so, I just wanted to let you know!!! HUGS!!!

Vigdis said...

WOW - I just love this great box!!! It's sooooo awesome!

Jessica said...

This might be just the push I needed to do something similar ... I'm always intending to put all my birthdays and important date in one place with my cards to mail ... but I never do. Now maybe I will. Your box is so cute!
Great idea. Thanks for sharing :)
~Jessica

IamDerby said...

llove your color scheme on this. Very pretty

CreativeMish said...

I love your box organizer! I have one of these boxes sitting on my to do shelf. I know what to do with it now! Such a fabulous idea!

Judy H. said...

Wow! You just totally amaze me, Michelle! This is awesome! TFS. Judy

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

What a cool idea! I love all the elements to this great organization tool!

Elizabeth S. said...

Such a wonderful idea for organization. I am hoping that this year I can get more organized myself so all of your inspirations are a f=great help.

Anonymous said...

There you go again! What an adorable project. Thanks for yet another great idea! Happy New Year.

Linda Carson said...

BRILLIANT!!

Tami McBeain said...

Great idea for the challenge! I love your little box and the clothes clippies!

Rachelle said...

I love your box...it is all too adorable. I need to get to work on my card system asap. :) Thanks for the push.

Lisa Brown said...

this is awesome! very creative an organization system...and beautiful!

Katy @ Live Laugh Love Craft said...

I love this - and everything else that you create! :)

StampinCathy said...

WOW this is just fabulous. I just love the colors and all the embellishments. This is such a wonderful idea. Make a note to myself to make some of these. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Love the clothespins. Great idea to keep things together in my purse or car when I am running around. Did you print the words out and then put them on the clothespins?

SueB said...

Omigosh, my sister would LOVE that system - I'd love one if you decided to post 'em on an Etsy shop of sorts ... but have saved the link to this post should I have to break down and try my hand at this, LOL!
Her birthday's in June - I could make one by then, right?! LOL!
Thanx for the inspiration - as usual!

Unknown said...

Nice solution to the challenge. I love the color palette you chose. Also, could you tell me the typeface you used? Thank you.

Jannell Leal Garcia said...

Oh my, this is great! I think I will try my hand at this and use it as a birthday organizer. Thanks for all the great inspiration!!! And I have to ask, what font is that, it is great!

Jannell

Pink Birdie said...

I just love your blog and everything that you make but this organization box is gorgeous!!!! What a great idea for the begining of the year I needed that!!! Thank you so very much for posting all this beautiful ideas for us!!
P.S.: Could you share the name of the font that you used? Thanks a bunch!

Shawnalee said...

I love your great idea! Our mail and bills get scattered all over. It drives me crazy. This is cute, practical, and something I can even do! Thanks

Karen Motz said...

Wow, what a fabulous project! Great ideas for organization and the details on your project are perfect!

EADotCom said...

What inspiration and creativity. Thanks for great ideas for my new job. I have just the person in mind to create this for and hope increase productivity! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails