January 2, 2009

My Sewing Bags

Look what I finished over Christmas break! I made two bags, one small tote and one gihugic tote to carry my quilting ruler and cutting mat. The outer portions have 5" squares that I pieced with my sewing machine (Baby Lock Audrey, and she's awesome!). The tops have giant ric rac sewn into the lining. I know, I know.....I'm getting pretty fancy. Watch out Vera Bradley, right?
Here's my fun fabrics, all 30's reproduction fabrics. I don't know who made them, I forgot to check.
Here's the inside, FULLY LINED, portion of my small tote. With a pocket! I tell ya, I'm getting better and better at this sewing stuff and could actually read the pattern. I totally improvised the big bag, just using my smaller pattern as a guide of sorts.
Here's my gihugic tote that will fit an 18" x 24" cutting mat and 24" long ruler. It is fully lined and has a pocket for smaller, square rulers. I will be the envy of of my fellow quilters, right?
I'm sure there are patterns out there and pre-made totes for quilting and sewing supplies. I just went for it and made my own though. I can't share the instructions with you due to copy right but the pattern is by Bunny Hill Designs, Litte Charm Totes #1088. I found the pattern at a local quilt shop and I'm sure you can find it online somewhere.

Oh, what fun that was!!! The small tote took me weeks because I was slow and couldn't find the right thickness of interfacing I needed. But I tackled the big tote and finished it almost a day! Now I can't wait to go to quilt class this next Friday. Trudi, my instructor, will be so proud of me!

26 comments:

Angela Lemmons said...

Your bag is so beautiful!! I really wish I could learn to sew, but middle school khaki skirt flashbacks haunt me too much!! The apron I could do; the skirt I could not! Thanks for the inspiration, though. Maybe it'll happen one day . . .

Dottie K. said...

Oh so pretty! Love the fabrics. Great job! :)

AuBien said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love all the fabrics and how they look together and I love buttons at the straps...so cute!

Angie Tieman said...

Wow! These are awesome! I'm so impressed with your work, and you're really making me want to try quilting (again!), darn you! =)

Tricia T said...

Wow! They're great!!!! Can't wait to see your quilt when it's done. :)

retiredheather said...

Very nice bags. Both look great.
Hugs
Heather

DeeDee said...

Look at YOU!!! WOW, these are gorgeous bags Mish!!! Oh, yes....you're teacher will be so proud of you!!! Again I ask you....Is there anything you can't do? LOL!! HUGS!!!

Sharon said...

These look wonderful!! Yea you!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!! They're gorgeous, Mish.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome Mish!! I am so excited, because I just got a giant cutting mat too. I am in love, but I think I need a more heft sewing machine now. The janome is good for cards, but I want to SEW now!

Chrissy said...

Way to go Mish! These turned out "sew" great! I started as a quilter and have gotten into cardmaking more recently, so its fun to see you get so into quilting! Yay! Have fun at class :-)

Smriti said...

Wow these are so beautiful, you make it sound so easy that I (a complete novice) feel tempted to try them!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mish, your bags are gorgeous! I'm especially impressed with how perfectly you have lined up your squares. I have one of the Bunny Hill Designs patterns (for the Darned Cute Bag, #1026) and I've never made it. I'm going to go dig it out and take another look at it! I'm feeling inspired!

java diva said...

Awesome! Good for you! You really are an inspiration to me to not be too afraid to sew some fabric together.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! Good for you...we're all so proud of you! And your teacher will be too,and your quilt friends will be in envy...but pleased for you too! Beautiful...can't wait to see your quilt someday. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

You did a fantastic job on these totes! So cute. The designer of this tote has a really beautiful blog at: http://bunnyhill.blogspot.com/

She has some gorgeous quilt patterns and if you want to see some amazing kits using her patterns, you can find them at Shabby Fabrics.

I have kind of put stamping to the side and have been quilting gung ho these days. I have been so excited and have been having so much fun. I am heading off to the local quilt shop today, matter of fact, to find my next project. Can't wait to see your quilt progress~ Jan

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Mish! You are so talented and diverse in your crafting abilities. Your bags look fantastic!

CreativeMish said...

Very cute! I would love to have something like this to pack my yarn around in!

Judy H. said...

Amazing! You did such a great job! TFS. Judy H.

Toni K said...

Awesome totes! It almost makes me want to sew. Almost!

Elizabeth S. said...

These are great! You did a wonderful job

Linda Carson said...

WOW! Fabulous quilting bags!! You did a wonderful job!

katemeri said...

Your bags are fabulous! Do you sell them in an etsy shop? If not, you should!

Anita Knits said...

Wow what fab bags, given me some inspiration - been thinking I must do some more quilting I'm lucky enough to be going to a quilters sale next week!!

Conniecrafter said...

Love your bag, I want to make one of these for my daughter, was going to try and get it done by Christmas but didn't happen, now I am shooting for Valentines day! Thanks for the inspiration and pattern info!

Anonymous said...

My wife is looking at getting a Baby Lock Audrey. Would you recomend it? Did you consider purchasing a different sewing machine? What?

Related Posts with Thumbnails