January 29, 2009

Pleasingly purple..

Have you heard the word, purple is hot! I've seen lots of shades of purples and plums showing up everywhere. At first glance through my supplies, I thought I didn't have anything purple. I didn't have ONE sheet of patterned paper that was purple, let alone any fun embellishments. So a few weeks back, I made it a point to purchase some purple buttons from Archivers. Then my new Karen Lockhart stamps arrived. There was this beautiful stamp of a Pitcher of Lilacs, one of my favorite flowers. So I started digging through my stash some more and whaddya know, I had more purple supplies than I thought. I found my wonderful collection of Papertrey Plum Pudding ribbons, cardstock and Guidelines patterned paper (still my ONLY purple patterned paper)...my newly purchased purple button...another little stash of purple ribbon from various shopping sprees...some shiny purple sequin stickers(available at Eclectic Paperie) and my great array of Copic purple markers. I was all set!
The design elements just all fell into place. I started out by coloring the beautiful lilacs with various shades of Copic Sketch markers. Just dabble on the colors, they'll all blend together. I used a complimentary shade of yellow on the pitcher. Complimentary colors are colors that are opposites on the color wheel. If you add a splash of the opposite color, it really livens up your colored images. Trust me, just try it. :) I also added some white dots from my white gel pen to the flowers, zoom in to see a closer view. I then cut and embossed my image with a simple Spellbinder's Rectangle Die Template.

The sentiments are from Papertrey's Birthday Basics stamp set. I love that this set has main birthday sentiments and then supporting sentiments. A great set to have! I finished off my card with lots of purple splashes....the buttons, some shiny sequins, Plum Pudding ribbon, PTI Guidelines patterned paper and the green eyelet lace ribbon.

This card really defines what stamping is all about, using your supplies and creating something beautiful.....so get out your stash of goodies, dig deep if you have to.....and just start creating. You'll love all the *new* stuff you'll find. I'll bet a shiny new penny that you have products that have never seen the light of day or touched the surface of your stamping table. Gather it up girls and use it!

20 comments:

Maria L. said...

I'm usually more of a silent follower of your blog, but I just had to tell you that I love your card today as well as your whole blog entry about using what you have. All of your design elements came together so beautifully (plus I {heart} purple! Thanks for sharing what you do - your blog is always such a fun read. Have a great day!

Michelle said...

Lovin' the lilacs, Michelle! I took out Plum Pudding and I think the Berry Sorbet this morning....and all that coordinates with to make something with that purple tonight!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you did good! I tend to shy away from purple. It's not a colour that really inspires me. I might challenge myself to use some purple, though, after seeing your creation...

Cindy

Elizabeth S. said...

This is a beautiful card!! Of course purple is the color of the birthstone for February so the Birthday sentiment goes well. I love purple anyway. Great job!!

Kelly Lunceford said...

This is beautiful! I just got this stamp in the mail yesterday, but haven't inked it up yet! I am so glad you showcased it today! It is so funny that you mention purple, because my blog post today was *going* to be all in purples, but it took a different turn! I love all of your purple touches on your card. I have that papertrey pattern paper that hasn't been cut into yet, either. Great card!

DeeDee said...

Just lovely!!! You are so GOOD!!! I love purple and its my Mama's favorite color, so I use it a lot for her. I guess we are in style now! LOL! HUGS!!

maryps said...

Purple is my darling granddaughter’s favorite color. You have inspired me to dig through my supplies for anything in the purple family and make a birthday card for her.

Thanks for all the fabulous creative ideas and tutorials.

Kirsten Alicia said...

I LOVE purple & this card is just so gorgeous, I love the lilacs. Kirsten.

Karen said...

I am not normally a purple fan, but I love this card. I thought I would be hard pressed to find purple in my stash until you reminded me of the Papertrey. Really cute card.

Tricia said...

Hey, Mish! Love all the purple and the good word about looking through your stash and using it! But, if one didn't have any purple paper, Basic Grey's new line, Wisteria, is absolutely gorgeous! I only saw pics from CHA. . .

retiredheather said...

Purple is my absolutely favorite color so...your card is beautiful. I agree...lots of fun to just create..not follow a sketch just create.
Hugs
Heather

CreativeMish said...

I love purple but hardly ever use it. You inspire me to pull out all my shades and use them! Beautiful!

Linda Carson said...

Love it!! Would you please consider taking a picture of the Copics you use? That really helps us Copic newbies w/colors.

Anonymous said...

Love your lilac card! Everything you make is fabulous, I enjoy reading everything you blog about!

Chelsea said...

so glad that purple is the new "in" color ... love it and love your creations!

Laurie in MN said...

It is nice to hear good news. I like purple and look forward to seeing everything purple. :O)

Your card is terrific.

I am not taking any bets about some products not seeing the light of day. I started to slowly purchase Copics and recently found two blogs listing basic colors to own, few of which I had bought. I still haven't tried the Copics.

I am listing Copic color combinations used on cards to help me choose colors. Any time you decide to list the Copics used for one of your cards would be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Yum! This is gorgeous! The layout is wonderful -- so different and fresh! And your coloring is fabulous...love seeing it close up to see how you used the white...very cool! Thanks for continuing to wow us every morning!

Norine said...

so pretty love the purple and the design
Hugs
Norine

liannallama said...

what an exquisite card! Love the purples here!

Lim said...

GORGEOUS!!

Hugs,
LIM

Related Posts with Thumbnails