January 22, 2009

Strip Stamping

Today I’m doing a little Strip Stamping. (No sillies, it is not what you think). I’m stamping up some fun embellishments to add to card creations. It’s fun to try new ideas on your cards and I’ve got just the ticket for you using some fun sets like Papertrey's Around & About Sentiments, Forest Friends and Heart Prints. The idea is to make up these little stamped strips in advance, and then use them on your projects later. As always, it’s easy peasy.
To begin, cut your cardstock to the width you want your card to be. Today I'm using 4.25" wide cardstock for all of my projects. You can keep the edges straight or add some fun scallops like I've done below with my Fiskars scalloped edge punch. Decorative scissors would work well too.
Then, it's time to stamp. Pine's (Heather Nichols) Around & About Sentiments stamp set is a perfect choice because there are a mix of long images and sentiments to choose from. I like to use this long clear block with grid lines to line up my stamp.
Continue stamping on more images and/or sentiments like I've done below.
I added a final Valentine sentiment from Heart Prints set. Then it's time to trim my stamped strip. I picked up this smaller Fiskars trimmer and am loving the size of it for these smaller items I need to trim. They can be found at Walmart, Target and possibly Michael's or your local scrapbook store for less than $15.00.
You can then fancy up your stamped strips by inking the edges with ink. Today I'm using the new Fresh Snow ink. Go ahead and add it to your list now.....it's THAT good! The coverage is excellent. And if Pine suggests it, you KNOW it's THAT good. You can use a sponge if you like but I prefer to ink my edges straight from the ink pad.
Go a step further and add some fun sequins or sticky pearls like I've used here. I found these at Archivers. You could also use brads, small buttons, eyelets or small snippets of ribbon or lace.
When you're all done, you'll have a nice little stash of stamped strips ready to go.....like my first photo at the top of this post. When you're ready to create some cards, you'll have some nice additions to add. Below are some of my creations.

This first card uses the fun deer and sentiment from Forest Friends. Paper is by October Afternoon along with PTI Kraft, Dark Chocolate CS and ribbon with some stitching.
Here's the close up of the stamped strips below.
And here's a fun little skunky card that uses images and sentiments from Forest Friends. It was easy to turn my card into a Valentine card just by adding my stamped strip. Paper is from the new Raspberry Fizz collection. Ribbon is Raspberry Fizz Swiss Dot.
Here's a closeup of some of the stamped strips I created for Valentine's cards.
And how about using the strips for little gift sacks instead of cards? Here, I used a small Glassine Bag to create a Valentine treat holder. These would be perfect for teacher treats. I used more images from the Forest Friends stamp set along for the tag. I cut the tag with Spellbinder's Circle and Pinked Edge Circle Die Templates. A big heart eyelet from Stampin' Up! finishes off the tag. Ribbon is Pure Poppy Swiss Dot.
For the stamped strip portion, I used more sentiments and images from Around & About, along with a few stamped and punched hearts from Heart Prints. Some clear sequin stickers finish off the stamped strip. On the inside, I tucked in 3 little mini bags of M & M's.
So there you have it! Just a few fun ideas to mix up your stamping a little bit. If you've created your Valentine Inspiration Station like I showed HERE, it would be fun to create some stamped strips using up those supplies. Then when you go to create your Valentine cards, half the work will be done. Also try adding some of the stamped strips to the inside of your cards. Or you could create longer strips that stretch across an entire scrapbook page layout. Or how about Valentine book marks or across the bottom of tags to add to gifts. The possibilities are endless. I hope you try them out!

65 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! It's a great idea, since you have your stamping stuff out, to make a few extras to keep handy for making quick cards. Thanks for the inspiration. And your blog is wonderful, by the way!

Anonymous said...

great idea and the cards are adorable!

MA said...

Thanks so much for sharing your talent. I just received Around & About (plus 4 other sets) today.

Jessica said...

Those are so darn cute! What a great way to play with your stamps, and create fun embellishments to use later. I'm going to give them a try!

Anonymous said...

Love these, they are so sweet, how creative of you!

Jan Castle said...

Thanks for a great idea...nicely done!
Jan

KanataNewf said...

awesome idea. One I will definitely use.

liannallama said...

*adorable* I love how you did this!

Valerie said...

Aren't you a smartie! Great idea, Mish!

Debbie Olson said...

Mish--super idea, and beautifully carried out!

Eveline said...

Great idea. Your cards look lovely.
Eveline.

Mandy said...

These look stunning what a fab idea!

Mandy

Yankee in England said...

I love doing strips on my cards, thanks for sharing your techniqe. It make me laugh thinking you live so close to my parents. I told my mom who lives in Hillsboro last year before the craft fair that a woman who does a blog I love to read would be there. She thought I was weird, well I am. Thanks for sharing your tecnique on strip stamping!

Zarah said...

What a fab idea - and how CUTE they are! :D

Anonymous said...

Mish
You come up with the best ideas. This really adds a charming touch to the cards ... I'm getting all kinds of new ideas. Thanks a bunch

katrynka said...

hello,

I just found your blog from the papertrey email. Your stuff looks great! I was wondering what you use to set your eyelets? I have a fiskars springloaded setter, (it was on sale somewhere) but I have some problems with having to do it multiple times to get it flat, and then some paint flakes off, cause the eyelet has been hit too much!

Also, do you keep needles dedicated to paper crafting for your sewing machine? I was thinking that sewing paper might dull the needles? Sorry for such a long comment, I could not find your email! katrynka at gmail dot com

DeeDee said...

What an excellent idea girlie!!! Such pretty cards too...thanks for sharing all your great ideas!! HUGS!!

NormaJean said...

I love that idea thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

GREAT idea -- can't wait to get started! Thanks for the inspiration.

Marlou McAlees said...

these are stunning cards Michelle, delightful!!! :)

Norine said...

great idea I always do this you know when you kind of lose your mojo its a good way to be productive LOL
Hugs
Norine

Anonymous said...

These are all too cute! Great ideas and a fun way to spruce up your card! Thanks for the inspiration:)

Anonymous said...

These are great! Thanks for this tip...I'm a mass production gal, so this is a great help! And...as always...I so love your work. Thanks for sharing your inspirations with us all!

Jan Hennings said...

WOW! Love your cards and the stamp sets you featured!

mudmaven said...

Echo everyone else's comments - great idea! Thanks so much! ~chris

Anonymous said...

Great idea, you are the best for giving tips on saving time by making little things like this and then when you sit down to make a bunch of cards most of the work is done. Thanks so much for your inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Stop it! I didn't think I "needed" Forest Friends...now I think I can't live without it. Oh girl, you amaze me every day!! Thanks for the great idea!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

What a wonderful idea! I love this concept. Makes whipping something up even quicker when you do a bunch of these in advance.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for using scraps. I can foresee having a file for "all occasions strips" to save time throughout the year. thanks for sharing your great idea with us. Have a Great Day!

Michelle B. AKA JustPaintingAround said...

What a great idea! You could just have them "in your stash" and treat them like any other embellishment - right there when you need it! Cool!

Dottie K. said...

Clever idea! Great to make up and use for any occassion. Love the cards. TFS Dottie

retiredheather said...

Great idea. Love it.
Hugs
Heather

Amy Johnson said...

Cute cards/project. Love your strip stamping idea. I always wonder what to do with those long stamps.

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea! what a great way to save time. My question is are you going to store them till you use them and how do you think you will store them?

- colleen cass

Stephanie said...

GREAT idea! LOVE it!

Sheila said...

Thanks "Mish". I love this idea. It will create faster card making. I am new to papertreyink, but not new to stamping. This is how it all began. I now digital scrapbook, but my first love was stamping.

Jenn N said...

I love it! I am cropping tonight and I think I am going to work on a bunch of these. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a good idea! I will making lots of these. I enjoy your blog and try to check in every few days. Thanks for wonderful ideas!

Scrap 4 Life said...

What a great idea!!!! I love all your beautiful creations!!

Lori Barnett said...

Wow...thanks for sharing this wonderful idea!! LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas, Mish!! Thanks.

Rosie said...

Thank you for sharing your ideas - very unique and time saving when we are in the mood to play. Rosie

Marilyn Hitterman said...

What a novel idea, Mish! They're attractive and eye-catching. Great idea!

Juanita B said...

I can't get over how creative you are. The cards are fabulous, TFS.

Elizabeth S. said...

Oh, what a terrific idea!!

Alison said...

These are great cards! I love the ideas for the strips. Now I'm definitely sold on the stamp sets as well!

sherryinbc said...

What a cute idea..Im off to try it right now! 8o)

Kelly Lunceford said...

So cute! What fun cards! TFS

NancyS said...

You are SO CLEVER! Thanks for sharing your great ideas and talents.

Anonymous said...

okay...i had a little laugh when I read your blog entry title. very cute.

But your idea is so great. I love love love it! That is so neat. Thanks so much for sharing.

Debi Miller said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to start playing around with the possibilities. Thanks.

CreativeMish said...

These are so cute! What a great way to use the scallop edger!

Judit V said...

Wow...these are so sweet! The border is such a great idea and thanks for showing how to do it!

Donelda said...

This is such a great idea!! I love making my own embellies too. I love what you did with yours!! Awesome!!

Marja Sch said...

Wow this is wonderful.Thanks for sharing this cute idea. :)

VictoriaG said...

So cute! And would you believe I just picked up that Fiskars punch day before yesterday??? Yay for me! This will be great to do some *pre-work* to have at the ready. You're always such an inspiration [sigh]

Anonymous said...

I love your picture at the beginning of your blog. Where did you get the wooden box with adjustible slats and the old fashion clothes pins?

Lori J. in Southern Cali.

Lisa Foster said...

These are so great!!! What an awesome idea! Love all of these cards...yep, you're still a genius!
Although I must admit that when I read "Strip Stamping" I thought you had found some clever way to incorporate stamping into... (ahem,you know...DH time)...oh well, guess he'll have to keep waiting until I'm done stamping...LOL...yeah, he's way asleep by then...snoring even. :)
Have a great weekend!
L

Lana said...

I thought I was going to have to take off my clothes and I WAS NOT going to participate in that! It's colf here, for Pete's sake! LOL!

Seriously, I LOVE THIS IDEA MISH! I am going to give it a try!

Unknown said...

What a great idea and the cards you made with them I just love. Thank you for teaching us how to organize with a few things like your valentine box in the header, yet another wonderful idea.

Erica Payne said...

Great ideas. I have the Forest Friends set and haven't used it yet because I'm unsure what to do with it! Now I have a few ideas to try!

Ashley Newell said...

What a great idea! Though I think my idea of strip stamping is a little more exciting. ;)

Rebecca said...

Looks like a perfect use of some of those scraps I have accumulated and accumulated and accumulated. They'd be perfect to have on hand. It would be so much more preferable to blank scraps of cardstock looking at me, begging for some adornment.

Nina said...

The strips are super cute and truly a time saver for mass production card making! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blog with a link to this tutorial.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails