January 11, 2009

Versatility with Sympathy

This month at Papertrey, Nichole presented us with a special challenge of creating sympathy cards. We all know that sympathy cards are probably not our most favorite to make simply due to the nature of why we're sending these types of cards. Unfortunately, these cards rank high on the list of of cards we need though. Nichole has designed a beautiful and thoughtful stamp set this month called With Sympathy.

Below is a card that I made using a beautiful, vine-like image. There are several varieties of flowers that can be stamped with this image, allowing different ink colors because of the separate stamp images. For my card(s)day, I used soothing colors of Ripe Avocado and Spring Rain paired with the crispness of white card stock with black ink.
The sentiment I chose to use for my card has a very special meaning to me. Nichole chose beautiful sentiments for this set, many I've never seen before. Below is a close up of the vine image on my card. I included blue sequin stars to tie in with the sentiment on this card. I also colored in some leaves with a Copic marker.
I also added the With Sympathy sentiment from the Birds of a Feather set. The script like font is so beautiful and coordinates well with the main sentiment. I cut and embossed it with a long oval die template from Spellbinders, then adhered it to my card front with pop dots. The cardstock that has the main images has been embossed using my Scor-Pal, making raised lines on each side of the Ripe Avocado Twill ribbon.
When choosing stamp set for sympathy cards, I usually reach for images that are nature oriented, such a flowers or trees. I also reach for sets that are not too cutesy looking. A sympathy card should convey the feeling of serenity and comfort. Choosing colors that are found in nature, such as greens, blues and browns, also helps to create a soothing color scheme. I shy away from bright colors when creating sympathy cards. The With Sympathy stamp set has beautifully illustrated images that work well with sympathy cards, but also can be used for every day type greeting cards.
Below is a card that I created using the exact same supplies as my sympathy card. I simply changed out the sentiment and added the nest and eggs image from the Birds of a Feather stamp set. The *take Flight* sentiment is also from this set.
If you compare my two cards, you can see that they are identical except for the sentiments and the nest. This is what I love about this stamp set, it's versatile enough that it won't just sit on your shelf until you need a sympathy card. I know that I'll use the supporting images in this set all year long.
Above, you can see a detail shot of my little nest. I stamped it in Dark Chocolate ink and then added the stamped eggs on top. I used some Ranger Glossy Accents to make the eggs have some shine. I think the nest looks perfectly natural, resting on the vine image. The sentiment I chose for this card front is from Birthday Basics.
I paired the sentiment with the *take Flight* from Birds of a Feather. I think the blend together perfectly. This card could be used for a birthday card, a card of encouragement or how about a Happy New Year card? This card would be great for this time of year.

My best tip for you today is to really think about your stamp sets and study the images that they contain. The versatility of Papertrey stamp sets make it so easy to mix and match images and sentiments. I am always thumbing through my sets, looking for those perfect images. And while you have all of your supplies out, consider making several cards of the same type to have a few extras on hand...or change out a few images like I've done today and make an entirely different batch of cards. It's a good thing.

For more beautiful Sympathy Cards using the new With Sympathy set, visit Nichole's blog and the other Papertrey designers' blogs here:

24 comments:

Debbie Olson said...

Beautiful job with this, Mish--so elegant! I love that little bird nest!

Anonymous said...

Your really did a wonderful job with these cards!

Elaine said...

Your card is as always, my favorite of all that I've seen using the set!

Chrisd said...

These are wonderful and really show the range of one set of stamps to meet so many occasion requirements in cardmaking.
Thanks for sharing with all of us your wonderful creations.

Anonymous said...

I always appreciate your work - and this sympathy card is no exception. It's very appropriate, not overdone, IMO. I like simple & less rather than more & more, especially in a sympathy card.

Tamara said...

Great job on this challenge. I love the colours you chose, and I like the accents of the gems in the vine too.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. Your work is always so amazing and neat. Love your blog.

Kelly Lunceford said...

Oh wow...this so speaks to me! I think this will be a must have set for me! I love it!

Karen G said...

A sympathy stamp set has been on my wish list and I believe I have finally found the perfect one. Your card is beautiful!!!

Nancy in CA said...

What lovely cards. The color combination is absolutely beautiful. I have a birthday card to do today, so will have to try the same ones. Thanks for sharing such wonderful creations. Nancy

Anonymous said...

These are both so beautiful!! TFS

Laurie in MN said...

Very pretty Card.

Anonymous said...

Those cards are beautiful. I think I've made one sympathy card in five years. I just can't, but I know I need to. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I so agree that sympathy cards are not the first thing we choose to make, but I do believe they are among the most appreciated. Thank you for such a sensitive sample, Mish. And thanks for the "happier" sample, too. Just shows how wonderfully versatile PTI stamps are--making them a very good investment.

Anonymous said...

These are so beautiful, Mish! I love your design and colors!

Juanita B said...

The beauty takes my breath away. You never let me down! Your creativity is awesome! TFS.

Linda Carson said...

Quite lovely artwork!

Kimberly Crawford said...

Gorgeous!! They are both so elegant, but the bird's nest totlly knocked my socks off!

Karen said...

Love the colors and that birds nest is precious.

MichelleY said...

Oh Mish...this is absolutely STUNNING!

Renee said...

These are absolutely beautiful cards!

CherylQuilts said...

Beautiful cards! This really shows off this new set wonderfully!

Anonymous said...

Your card was my favorite using the new sympathy set; it has such a comforting look to it. Your ideas are great for the Valentine party; the girls are going to have a wonderful time that they'll remember forever.

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

beautiful! this nest reminds me of the bird nest you showed last year that you had on your porch

Related Posts with Thumbnails