May 16, 2009

Patriotic Cards...One Sheet Wonder Style

Edit: As mentioned in my post, the red twine/string is from Martha Stewart, available at Michael's and I believe Ellen's store had this at one time too. And I get the old style clothespins at Dollar Tree. It's the only place I can find them. I usually purchase about 10 bags so I'll always have them on hand. Maybe I have too much ribbon.....pfft, nahhh.

Lisa Johnson's new Papertrey set called Let Freedom Ring will be a well loved set for me. Summer is my favorite time of year and with Josey's birthday on the 4th, my mom's on the 1st and our huge BBQ, it's aways a great time to celebrate...and make cards!

Today I have a fun set of cards that I made using the One Sheet Wonder style of stamping. The idea is to create a full sheet of patterned paper using various stamps and then cut it up for your projects. To start off, I grabbed one of my largest clear blocks and arranged all of the stamps that would fit from the Let Freedom Ring set onto my block. You're just looking to create a random pattern.Using a sheet of Linen Vellum Cardstock(the texture this gives my final projects is so awesome!), I stamped the set of images randomly with Pure Poppy ink, covering my entire sheet of Linen Vellum. Looks pretty cool but I'm not finished yet.
I wanted a red, white and blue theme so I took a star image and stamped it with SU! Night of Navy ink, filling in white spaces. Lookin' good now!
Then I reached for my well loved Borders and Corners Circles set and stamped the loopy circle over every star cluster circle I saw. LOVE this!!
And here's my final sheet of patterned paper. It really looks like something you'd buy in a store! Zoom in to get a better peek.
I was on a roll, so I decided to create some embellishments to add to my cards. I made double layered, punched starts using the Star Punch, Polka Dots Basics, Fresh Snow Ink, Vintage Buttons and Martha Stewart red twine. Notice that the bottom layer is a second punched star using the Night Sky Shimmer Cardstock. Oh, this looks fantastic on patriotic projects!

The scalloped strips have a tiny red, white and blue ribbon from my stash and were punched with a Fiskars scallop edge punch. The red and white patterned paper with circles is from Papertrey's Men of Life patterned paper pad. Remember to dig through your stash to find supplies that match your theme.
And here are my finished cards, I love them!! I cut small pieces of the patterned paper and assembled all of the elements randomly on my Kraft card base. The texture of the Linen Vellum along with the shiny metallic paper and the dimension of the buttons is really fun to look at. For a final finishing touch, I inked the edges of my cardstock with Fresh Snow Ink and then added some random polka dot stamping using Polka Dot Basics.
Here you can see the shimmery Night Sky cardstock, so pretty.
And here's my double layered stars with the Vintage Buttons, such a nice finishing touch.
I can't wait for the summer fun to begin!! Yesterday, I found the cutest little red, white and blue tricycle at an antique shop. It will for sure take front and center in my patriotic porch decorations this summer!! Enjoy the weekend, my friends!

41 comments:

Sara said...

I love what you did with this set! I plan on ordering it myself.
TFS :)

Julia said...

Seriously love this!! I'm going to be getting this set!! And I love what you did with the shimmer blue cardstock!!

Niki Estes said...

What cute cards, Mish! I love your stamped patterned paper and the colors and design! Fabulous cards!

Tiffany said...

Wow, what a great idea! Love the one sheet wonder idea! Didn't know it could be that easy! TFS!

Valerie said...

*thud*

Anne-Marie Tribbett said...

Once again awesome cards!! Your patterned paper opened up so many more options. Can't wait to try this! Have a great day!
ps: Loved your snake post. We live on a farm, but in Oregon so the only snakes we get are garter snakes thank goodness!

Angie Moses said...

these are the cutest patriotic cards I've seen in a LONG time!!! You are always so creative...I love most everything you do, but these are super cool!!!

SueD said...

What a gift you have - I am inspired everytime I visit your blog. I can't wait to make my own paper. Also - what a beautiful family you have.

Elaine said...

You pulled this together so absolutely perfect! It's amazing how you choose just the right amount of accents, know what to add, when to stop, how to make custom embellies, how much stamping makes the PERFECT OSW, and I'm always in awe of your talent, Mish! Truly you are the world's best!! :)

Elaine said...

PS...Where did you find the red twine? I bought some SU 'red twine' but it wasn't red...turned out to be maroon :(

LCPARSONS said...

I love it! You are so darn creative and your work is flawless!!!

Charlette said...

Just love these cards. As usual the paper you designed is wonderful. Checking your blog daily you slways give everyone just great ideas., Thanks for sharing!

Barbara M said...

Very nice and soooo creative! I just bought that 4th of July set. I will try a portion of what you did, I'll just work with my supply stash. Happy Birthday to all! Sounds like one big party coming up.

dolcreations said...

I my goodness..can you get anymore creative!! You are the best! I love this set...I love what you have done with it!!!!
Christine

Anonymous said...

What creative cards! I like your method of making and gathering your card elements and then putting them together to make a finished product.
C Burke

Harriet H said...

I love this...you have out done yourself again....

Jenn said...

OMG!! Mishy these are fantastic!!! I LOVE the pattern paper you created!!

Sally said...

Creativity at its most superior is always what I see on your blog! Such an inspiration!

Quick question, where do you get the clothes pins you use for your ribbon. Our local Walmart carries only the pinch clothes pins. Thanks, Sally

Anna said...

Those turned out so nice. Much better than anything you could buy in a store. I really want to get this set now.

Jane said...

You're on fire! Love this!

patriciad said...

Fantastic cards. Love the shimmer blue paper. Just great ... as usual!

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Awesome! I loved all the patriotic ideas you shared last year and can't wait to see what you have in store to share this year.

Jean Franks Beck said...

Wow, Mish, they came out beautifully! Love all the little touches you put in!

SusanBluerobot said...

WOW fantastic

ivy said...

you make it look so easy! so okay, where can i buy some sheets from you?! (seriously)

carmen said...

LOVE THIS IDEA, THANKS FOR SHOWING, HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR RIBBON ON THE CLOTH PINS

Kathy said...

Simply adorable!

MaGoooo said...

Sooooooo CUTE!! LOVE what you did with this set!!

Melissa said...

Completely adorable Mish! I LOVE these.
Melis

Anonymous said...

Very cute and clever idea!!!! I just love your blog! You are so very creative!

Nancy L. said...

I love how you come up with the simplest embellies and they make such an impact in your cards!!

liannallama said...

fantastic! Thanks for sharing your projects--they sure inspire and make me smile!

Jen said...

Fantastically Terrific!!!! Love these cards. Except for the green accents here and there I have a red white and blue theme running through my house.

THANK YOU so much for sharing your creations. I wasn't quite fast enough the night of the reveal and the stamp sets I wanted, and inks, sold out. So, i'm being patient....

have a wonderful day!

Shelly said...

Hi! These are super cards! I love the way your brought them together, and the step by step photos are fab! Great job!

Heather said...

Love your patriotic cards. This looks like a fun and versatile stamp set1

KIRSTEN said...

This is simply awesome!

C said...

Way cute idea...thanks for the step by step photos, too!

Anonymous said...

The clothespins are also at Hobby Lobby. I bought a bag of thirty for less than $5 I'm sure (I can't remember the exact amount, but it was very little.)

After seeing you use them, I went there looking for them and found some! I was TOO thrilled... Now I just have to wrap all of that loose ribbon I have. Sounds like a good thing to on the couch while hubby watches the game.

Thanks for the inspiration! :-)

Anthonette said...

Home run! This is such a great card. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Sara P. said...

Found this from your other post. You are one very creative, inspiring person, Miichelle. I love your blog. I just love this and I may borrow your idea and do tags for the family 4th of July party this year as well as a hostess gift for a friend's 4th of July party. Off to look at ordering that set. Thank you for your inspiration.

diane mcvey said...

F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C !!! I love your one sheet wonder, what a great idea for the 4th of July! I am going to try this myself!
Love your cards, they are great. You always use such great elements, and your creations are gorgeous! :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails