February 22, 2013

Friday Finds...

Some good reads....
My good friend Nichole gifted me with The Forgotten Garden some time ago.  I just now finished it and it was so good.  I love historical fiction, especially when there is a cross over between the present day and the past.  My problem is, once I get into a good book I am good for nothing else.  I have to keep on reading.  

Definitely a good find....

A few others from Kate Morton that I think I'll check out from the local library....
Are you into historical fiction? I'd love for you to let me know your favorite books and authors, just leave me a comment or shoot me an email.  Perhaps I can create a post with some favorites.  Also, do you like to just check out books or do you like to purchase your own?  I'd love to purchase the books so that I can read at my own pace but the thought of creating the space for a small library adds thoughts of hoarding to my already cluttery piles.  


I'm finding myself drinking more water.....
These Mio water enhancers have helped me with more water consumption.  It's a flavor boost in the form of a liquid that you just squirt into your glass of water.  I've also tried the Walmart brand and Crystal Light has some flavors too.  Some of our favorite flavors are Strawberry Watermelon, Blueberry and Pineapple Coconut.  The girls keep a bottle in their locker so they can freshen up their water bottles during the day.  I try to keep them from drinking at the water fountains at all possible measures, especially during the flu season.  


A big hit at the bake sale...
This Popcorn Cake was a bit hit at the bake sale that Jordan's softball team sponsored at the last basketball game.  I added sprinkles to the top and we offered it up as a raffle item for $1 a ticket.  A very unique food item that got a lot of looks.

Food finds.....
I've some more interest in my crock pot recipes and freezer meals.  I don't post every recipe I've tried but I do have a ton of pins on my Crock Pot Recipes Pinterest board.  I'm trying to find more recipes that don't use so many "cream of" soups.  I think this from scratch Creamy Mushroom Soup sounds so hearty and rustic.  Maybe not any more healthy because of the cream but I love the thought of making it from scratch.

Regarding the freezer meals,  I haven't done this as much as I'd like because my little cooking partner has decided she doesn't really have a need for so many meals on hand.  Her husband is out of town a lot for work so she doesn't want the meals to sit in her freezer for too long.  It was more fun when I had a cooking partner so the plan kind of dwindled.  But I do miss having those meals in the freezer and need to plan another cooking day.  I have pinned a lot of recipes and blog posts about freezer meals on my Freezer Meals Pinterest board.  There's some great information there.  I've also found that crock pot cooking is really pretty quick to assemble.  I keep many of the same meal ingredients that I would use for a freezer meal on hand and it all comes together quickly.  I'm definitely still loving my crock pot though and use it probably 2 or more times a week.  My mom doesn't cook much anymore so I've been adding in an extra can of beans or more meat and then will take my folks enough leftovers for a meal.  They love it and look forward to what I create next. My girls love to have breakfast type items in the freezer.  Breakfast burritos are a favorite.  I think these Breakfast Pockets sound pretty good too.  I may have to try them out soon.

So do you have some good crock pot recipes or freezer meals?  I would love your links so that I can add them to my Pinterest boards.

Okay, I'm outta here for now.  The girls have another snow day.  At 13 degrees, I don't think they'll be out in the snow today so it could get interesting around here.  They love the days off but the boredom sets in pretty easily.  Me, I'm never ever bored.  I'm thinking about rearranging my craft room so I can sit with my sketch pad for quite a while and dream about finding the perfect vintage storage piece.  I must start purging more items.


16 comments:

Basement Stamper said...

That cake looks scrumptious and I just followed all your boards. I made a crock pot meal last night (I cooked on low 10 hrs and added a little o.j. and coke to the mix to thicken it up a little more) http://pinterest.com/pin/415527503088983883/ with a side of yummy sauce that my kids love.

My oldest one loves this recipe:http://pinterest.com/pin/415527503088732735/

Can't wait to explore your boards more :-)

AaronB said...

I loved the Forgotten Garden!! I read the Distant Hours, and I didn't like it as much. The others are on my long list.
If you like historical fiction-try the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon you won't be sorry!!

A couple of other great books-
The secret lives of dresses
The language of flowers
and
Into the Wilderness
Have a great day!!

Unknown said...

Amy Tan and Lisa See are my favorites. They weave in so much fascinating Chinese culture and history in their works. Lisa See's On Gold Mountain is a great place to start. It is her own ancestor's years in early Los Angeles China Town.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Mountain-Lisa-See/dp/0307950395

Kirstin said...

The House at Riverton was my favorite by Kate Morton. But, the Forgotton Garden was second. I love how she weaves history into current life. Wonderful picks this week!

Kirsten said...

Hmmmm...I'll have to check out Kate Morton. Don't read much historical fiction, but one of my favorite books of all time is Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen.

Kirsten said...

Hmmmm...I'll have to check out Kate Morton. Don't read much historical fiction, but one of my favorite books of all time is Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen.

Cook Scrap Craft said...

I just finished The Secret Keeper last week and it was REALLY good! You should definitely read that one next!

Martha L said...

I have read all of Kate Morton's books and really liked them. Diana Gabaldon is a great recommendation too. I read 2 books by Kristina McMorris that were excellent historic fiction. "Bridge of Scarlet Leaves" and "Letters From Home". Both were set during WW II era. Also "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet". Was good. I love to read. I usually buy books and when my library got really large I got a Nook tablet. I was very resistant to not having an actual paper book in hand but I love it now. I have over 200 books in my library now and the nook is only 5 by 8 inches and weighs less than a pound!

val said...

I only recently heard of Kate Morton when I stumbled upon the book the distant hours. I had never heard of it or her and its not really my typical read, BUT, it totally captured my heart! I loved it so much and all the women in it! such a great book! Now I'll have to check out the other books she has written! thank you!

Robin said...

I have read the first two you mentions and loved them!! Didn't know about the others!! Thanks for sharing!

skcoe said...

I loved "These is my Words," a great read! I shop all the time from half.com and get books for pennies on the dollar.

That cake looks DELICIOUS!!

Poynter said...

Loved The Forgotten Garden. I met Kate Morton last year, she is amazing. Beautiful, eloquent, accomplished and YOUNG, made me wonder what I've been doing with my life...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I am always looking for nice books to read. I just send a sample of The Forgotten Garden to my Kindle. Have you tried a digital reader like Kindle? I love it and now I can have all by books in one place an carry them on my purse ;)

Have a great day!!

Theresa said...

I LOVE historical fiction....Try reading Michele Moran. I have enjoyed everything she has done. ALSO, try the 20th Wife by Indu Sudresan (Not sure on the spelling). FABULOUS read about the Taj Mahal!! LOVE it!

crazymom said...

I wish I lived close by! I would definitely be your cooking buddy!! I think the drive from California might be a little much! I've been on a hunt for some Weight Watcher type crock pot meals. I will definitely check your pins to see if any of yours fit the mold. Thanks for always being so gracious about sharing!

Lisa Petrella said...

I LOVE The Forgotten Garden! An excellent book!!! I'm a big fan of historical fiction!!! We just returned from a 5 month trip to New Zealand! While I was there I read a couple of really good historical fiction books: The Colour by Rose Tremain and The Denniston Rose by Jenny Pattrick! I also just purchased So Brilliantly Clever by Peter Graham. Haven't read it yet, but it sounds fascinating!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails